A Rubicon build story

Maverick23

• Platinum Member
Maverick23

:icon_massacre:

I'm not ignoring the messages chaps ... but, "not getting off the tarmac" was one of the stressful events ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Phase 3 ~ part 2

Just fitted a stainless steel cat-back exhaust via the company recommended by Jim (Volant165) in this thread https://www.jeepowners.club/forum/index.php/topic,5456.0.html  and also discussed in this thread https://www.jeepowners.club/forum/index.php/topic,5387.0.html

Some pics attached.

IMG_1219.thumb.JPG.0f838607ac2ada586e5a78c4fa3ac459.JPG

IMG_1222.thumb.JPG.01905e7d96622f2dd0d24019356953c0.JPG

IMG_1218.thumb.JPG.fa34144a0068103830e9ac48ccb1f38c.JPG

DSC03839.thumb.JPG.4bd15e12864e2e1a0cf1554157bcae60.JPG

• Platinum Member

Thanks Steve

Short answer it sounds :great:

... but that is a bonus ...

... as what it has done is to relieve the "back pressure" that I caused by fitting the AFE air intake first. Really not a good idea to increase "air in" without also sorting how the air will get away from the engine. This exhaust system has completed the "air out" part of the loop ... the sound no longer comes from the engine bay; it now comes from the rear of the car (as it should).

Very pleased with the quality of the product and the service I received from this long established and professional outfit.

• Platinum Member

All looks great, are we going to see it at Summer Camp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

All looks great, are we going to see it at Summer Camp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Rolf

It was definitely part of plans to attend the Summer Camp - looks like the JOC Team have put together another fun-packed weekend :great: And it would be nice to put faces to names ... and maybe get to taste Pauline's famous flapjacks ...

Unfortunately, "life" is somewhat complicated at present ... and it is very difficult to make any commitments. Actually doing the mods to my Jeep is the one thing that is helping to keep me (sort of) sane :icon_geek:

So sorry, not this time ... hope you all have fun - I'm sure you will ...

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member

Phase 3 – part 3

NEMESIS Billy Rockers aka Rock Sliders

Big thank you to Alex at Buzz Racing. He arranged the importing; painted tub armour in body colour; powder coated the other 2 parts in a special textured finish (very similar to AEV); and then installed them while I went shopping in sunny Marlow.  :great: :great:

These rock sliders are made from aluminium, which means they are reasonably light but very strong. Have a look at this video to see what they can cope with

… and no, they are not likely to be tested to that extent by me.

Here are some pics:

1. They come in bare aluminium finish:

2. Painted & coated and ready to fit;

3. Thanks to Arthur (Buzz mechanic for 9 years) who did most of the install … including the dreaded “nutsert” work;

4. Side detail:

5. Finished item – doesn’t really do them justice.

Really pleased with the product and install – if you get the line-up even slightly out on these they will look “wrong” – look as though all Rubicons should have them from the factory.

Just my humble opinion …  :glasses:

IMG_3435.thumb.JPG.87cc29e56c804e7d2a62658967c01c8e.JPG

IMG_9457.thumb.jpeg.d482e89aa710ef47752277b8dc8d9d34.jpeg

IMG_4285.thumb.jpeg.66dc5e83222a06461248145706bde99c.jpeg

IMG_7079.thumb.jpeg.9c6086b70429c3bf85ead994ee741bad.jpeg

IMG_1234.thumb.JPG.01e1aa7c2b2f3a8e308bee6a0bd973e2.JPG

• Platinum Member

Thanks Darren ... they certainly are ...

Credit to Alex - he really does pay a lot of attention to detail ... and it shows in the finished product - it's great to have someone like him in "my area"  :great:

• Platinum Member

Thanks Tony

I guess it can appear to be an expensive undertaking - and I won't try to pretend it's cheap - but the JKUR is actually quite a reasonable base price when you consider what you get for your money. Even more of a bargain in USA; where you could get an AEV JK250 for the price we pay for a standard model here ... but that's another story.

What are the alternative vehicles?

LR range - Defender = gone and not as advanced as JK // Discovery = base price over £40k and rather lacking character // Range Rover = expensive & different market

Porsche / VW / Audi / BMW etc = expensive & different market & not as capable off-road

So really the Wrangler is rather a unique vehicle ... and one of the main reasons I bought one ... it's so easily modified. I have the opportunity to "create" my own vehicle from the already great base supplied by Jeep :great: :great:

It's bringing me great deal of enjoyment driving and creating ... yes, its costing money ... but I am getting quite used to boiled rice now :icon_jokercolor:

• Administrators

Phase 3 – part 3

NEMESIS Billy Rockers aka Rock Sliders

Big thank you to Alex at Buzz Racing. He arranged the importing; painted tub armour in body colour; powder coated the other 2 parts in a special textured finish (very similar to AEV); and then installed them while I went shopping in sunny Marlow.  :great: :great:

These rock sliders are made from aluminium, which means they are reasonably light but very strong. Have a look at this video to see what they can cope with

… and no, they are not likely to be tested to that extent by me.

Here are some pics:

1. They come in bare aluminium finish:

2. Painted & coated and ready to fit;

3. Thanks to Arthur (Buzz mechanic for 9 years) who did most of the install … including the dreaded “nutsert” work;

4. Side detail:

5. Finished item – doesn’t really do them justice.

Really pleased with the product and install – if you get the line-up even slightly out on these they will look “wrong” – look as though all Rubicons should have them from the factory.

Just my humble opinion …  :glasses:

Looking good Kerry  :great:

• Trade Member

Kerry,

Glad you liked them and thank you for the kind words...

It is always satisfying when a customer collects thier vehicle and is happy with the outcome  :great:

Now to get my own ones on!!

Thanks again.

• Platinum Member

Looking good Kerry  :great:

Thanks Stewart

Actually that concludes the modifications I originally had planned for my Rubicon ... really ...

As it happens I am already in the process of just one more upgrade :rofl: :rofl:

• Platinum Member

As it happens I am already in the process of just one more upgrade :rofl: :rofl:

Funny how that happens isn't it!

• Platinum Member

Looks really good! Almost makes me think it is time to replace the ACE rails I have (and installed myself in my driveway back in the USA...)

It is never finished...

• 2 months later...
  • Platinum Member

Thanks for your input chaps ... sage words from experience no doubt :great:

And yes, Glyn ... I would love a V8 ... but maybe not via that route ... and unlikely to be soon ... just too expensive ... but still a dream :sleep:

A FEW MORE "Bits & Bobs"

My Rubicon spent a nice day with Alex at Buzz Racing ... while I toured the local area on foot ... here's what happened to the truck:

1. Rigid Industries DSS (driving version) lights. Brand new in UK - exclusively imported via Alex himself. They fix to the A pillars / with their own wiring loom and then onto my existing switch pod. Look excellent, but more important they work brilliantly. They are designed to fire forward and sideways in the near field area - the "driving" version also fires to the front mid-range. My existing (mini sun) Lazer T16 tripleR lights up the horizon and go a looong way out ... these new DSS lights fill in (completely) the near field gaps. Really impressive ... will get some night shots at some point.

2. Rock's 4x4 rear drop down shelf. Solid and very strong ... fixed to rear door by 4 nut-serts. Another excellent product.

3. Drake's lockable bonnet hold-downs with black knurls. Cool looking product and also very effective at doing their job - fully adjustable to suit your bonnet and solidly made from metal(s).

4. Nemesis EVAP relocation bracket. Impressive item you will never see - unless you happen to under the vehicle. Relocates the EVAP canister to a protected position above the rear diff AND gets it out of the way of my next little project. Everything you need is in then kit ... except Nemesis changed the design slightly, but didn't issue new install instructions ... luckily Alex & Arthur sorted it out between them. (no pics of this bit - it sort of disappears).

Really happy with everything. Alex sources these items himself and personally imports the products he thinks we will need/want ... and then ofcourse he has the expertise to fit them all .. properly :great: He also took the time to sort out a few "loose items" and poor fitments. I wish I had know about him a bit earlier in my build ... but that is another story, possibly for another day ... possibly not.

So massive "thank you" to Alex ... keep up the good work :glasses:

IMG_1260.thumb.JPG.45a2bef2d5d6f90a13c399a7c267518d.JPG

IMG_1268.thumb.JPG.def9bdc84d61c6e715ae07a98ce16350.JPG

IMG_1264.thumb.JPG.9ea9ac19cb225bf587ad5bed07720f77.JPG

IMG_1267.thumb.JPG.1faadad2b9af29d4bbf16b38ac310aed.JPG

• Platinum Member

Very nice Kerry  :great:

So what's the "next little project" that requires the evap relocated? I am intrigued....

• Platinum Member

I see what you are doing, Kerry! Getting ready to drop a long range fuel tank... I would bet!

I am going H&S very soon. Asked for something not very loud, but curious to hear the 3.8 afterwards!

Time for some real mud and some rock rash around those fine wheels of yours!!!

• Administrators

I am going H&S very soon. Asked for something not very loud, but curious to hear the 3.8 afterwards!

Loving the 2 systems from those guys the Trailhawk Cherokee is just right for the type of Vehicle! When you step on it! With light throttle is very quite but at least now you hear the gear changes on that 9 speed box! ! The JK on the other hand purrs at idle also with the air intake sucking down the Snorkel via the Pre-Filter Assembly when you step on it you know about it!!

• Platinum Member

I see what you are doing, Kerry! Getting ready to drop a long range fuel tank... I would bet!

Is that Hayward and Scott?

Most excellent exhausts- Love mine- Sounded like a Messerschmidt when i first picked it up! and i went for the quiet one!