A Rubicon build story

Maverick23

• Trade Member

Thanks for the kind words Kerry, glad you are sorted and that you had the satisfaction of installing it yourself :)

Woody, we keep the TJ liner on the shelf to, in graphite or black  :great:!

Harry if you have any questions email me :) happy to help where i can!

Look forward to watching your rubicon progress Kerry  :great:

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the kind words Kerry, glad you are sorted and that you had the satisfaction of installing it yourself :)

Woody, we keep the TJ liner on the shelf to, in graphite or black  :great:!

Harry if you have any questions email me :) happy to help where i can!

Look forward to watching your rubicon progress Kerry  :great:

Of course I will, you'll probably be getting a visit from me in the next couple of months when I get a list together of what a need (I mean want) to add to my jk

• Platinum Member

INCREDIBLE(S) !

pic 1 = it's level (how is that possible?)

pic 2 = main beam dipped

pic 3 = main beam full

Pic 4 = add TripleR16 (there's trees in them there hills)  :gasp:

24.3.16_014.thumb.JPG.8c646a2c2740890c913ef8edff422b3a.JPG

phone_7.4.16_010.thumb.JPG.0ef3853211219e2aeb65b813a48ef591.JPG

phone_7.4.16_011.thumb.JPG.79d9812d398b5d82c52673101945e191.JPG

phone_7.4.16_014.thumb.JPG.64f613042ddbf5ee3b312458fdd4a278.JPG

• Platinum Member

INCREDIBLE(S) !!

Anyone who has carried out modifications to their Jeep which add weight (steel bumpers, winches etc) and in particular install bigger tyres will know that power delivery is adversely affected. Even if you carry out Procal adjustments - which is highly recommended - many of us think we have actually lost power … it certainly feels that way!

I was fairly certain this would happen to my Rubicon after the phase 2 mods were carried out … and part of my phase 3 plans are to add a new air intake and cat-back exhaust to try and put that lost power back into the system. However, I was not quite prepared for my first venture up Detling Hill … a bit of an eye opener as a lot more throttle was required to negotiate this 50mph ascent.

So I decided to steal something from my phase 3 plans – which is an AFE throttle body spacer - an extra part I ordered to go with their Momentum GT air intake for the modern JK. Basically it fits behind the throttle body and is designed to agitate the air as it enters the top of the engine. Wasn’t expecting much … but thought it was worth putting on while I save up for the cat-back exhaust and carry out my phase 3 mods later.

[NB I think it is a good idea to fit intake & exhaust at the same time – to keep the airflow balanced.]

Well this little “Silver Bullet” really does make a difference … the “lost power” is back … Detling Hill is the serene experience it always was … a highly recommended upgrade.

Downside? Yes, unfortunately there is one … slightly less mpg. Apparently, because the engine is getting more air, it thinks it should add more petrol … basic engineering according to my friendly mechanic. It sounds like a remap will now be added to the phase 3 mods – probably makes sense :glasses:

24.3.16_017.thumb.JPG.8ae46ef8bc1562810b9efce4c40c9a46.JPG

Guest grey thunder

INCREDIBLE(S) !

pic 1 = it's level (how is that possible?)

pic 2 = main beam dipped

pic 3 = main beam full

Pic 4 = add TripleR16 (there's trees in them there hills)  :gasp:

You should try the 52 triple r

• Platinum Member

Would be great to see an equivalent series of pics with the 52TripleR Bob ... you may need to hand out sunglasses or at least some form of warning :icon_jokercolor:

PS can't seem to add your posting as a quote ... odd :scratch:

• Platinum Member

Kerry,

what's the deal with the legalities of having the illumination of a small sun fitted to the front of your truck? If you have them for "off road lighting" do you  have  to have them separately isolated?

Cheers

Tim

• Platinum Member

Hi Tim

Yes, strictly off-road only!!

Separate switch required ie can't come on with main lights ... but other than that its up to you to use it "responsibly". As I posted earlier, you really cannot look at this light straight-on without risking damaging your retinas ... so it really would be mad to use where there are pedestrians. As far as animals are concerned - which just crossed my mind -  I hope they would have common sense to run a mile if they see this alien craft approaching :glasses:

PS the photos really do not tell the true story ... in real life it is amazing how much light these things give off. My TripleR16 is 30" wide and has 16 LEDs - Bob (Grey Thunder) has the 52" version which has 28 LEDs ... that probably is the sun mounted on his roof  :fresse:

Guest grey thunder

Hi Tim

Yes, strictly off-road only!!

Separate switch required ie can't come on with main lights ... but other than that its up to you to use it "responsibly". As I posted earlier, you really cannot look at this light straight-on without risking damaging your retinas ... so it really would be mad to use where there are pedestrians. As far as animals are concerned - which just crossed my mind -  I hope they would have common sense to run a mile if they see this alien craft approaching :glasses:

PS the photos really do not tell the true story ... in real life it is amazing how much light these things give off. My TripleR16 is 30" wide and has 16 LEDs - Bob (Grey Thunder) has the 52" version which has 28 LEDs ... that probably is the sun mounted on his roof  :fresse:

As kerry has said the triple r is unbelievable so much so I'm going to add a second one to it

• Platinum Member

:gasp: don't think I'll be going that far guy's! but I am thinking of adding something, what's the threshold for when "driving lights " that come on with the main beam become " off road " lights that have to be isolated separately? Is there a definition? Wattage?? Size?

Cheers

Tim

• Trade Member

As kerry has said the triple r is unbelievable so much so I'm going to add a second one to it

• Platinum Member

This we gotta see - but only behind a set of welders goggles :icon_e_geek:

Pictures when you are ready Bob ....

• Platinum Member

I,m ready :gasp: :great:

:rofl: Excellent :great:

Didn't recognise you at first Paul ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

CB Radio & some switches

I ordered the VENUS pack that was on special offer at Thunderpole; with the body mount for fixing to the top of my AEV rear tyre carrier and the Mini Orbiter aerial (see pic 1). You can get the full size Orbiter (1.55m long + a range of 10 miles) for the same price, but I thought that 5 miles range was (hopefully) good enough and the .89m length would be a lot easier to store in back of my JK.

Wish I'd ordered the “quick disconnect” at the same time http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/mounting-accessories/thunderpole-38-quick-disconnect.html Guess i will just bite the bullet and have to pay p&p on this bit.

The main radio unit (which is really compact) is under the driver’s seat and is powered via the power outlet in the centre cubby box. Just trying to work out where to place the multi-function handset ~ which will only be connected when in use.

As some of you will know I had a rather sorry set-up for my switches initially ~ then I ordered the Rugged Ridge A-pillar pod from Jeepey and some “ARB style” carling switches from a well known supplier recommended by Bob (Grey Thunder). There is some work to do on the A-pillar pod to cut out the 4 holes (see pic 2) … no idea why RR don’t supply it pre-cut … but hey, they don’t.

The new set-up looks like it belongs and (IMHO) looks really cool with the ARB blue light (see pic 3).

PS If any of you end up with the newer 7 pin Carling switches, you will need a bit of guidance on the wiring. I learnt, along with the supplier, that the logic of the normal 4 pin switches does not quite work for the 7 pin version. Attached is the wiring layout for 7 pin Carling switches (provided by supplier – my config is in red).

It also appears that the 4 pin is being phased out and replaced with a 5 pin to allow for a Euro-switching option – not as simple as it used to be … :glasses:

phone_21.4.16_011.thumb.JPG.53c7712020a6008a73845c88eba7734c.JPG

phone_21.4.16_008.thumb.JPG.8a92fe75f4f14b87d2224f3b94b43773.JPG

phone_21.4.16_009.thumb.JPG.a22ece0e99872854476658872c2f50fd.JPG

ARB_Euro-US_switches.doc

• Platinum Member

Thanks Christian :great:

Just doing a few smaller items ... while I save up for the phase 3 mods ... hoping to add some peas to my boiled rice diet soon :mdr:

• Platinum Member

Good work Kerry.  Like the switch pod, looks OEM.

The next mod needs to be some brown stuff on the sides, front, back and roof!

Chief Cable Tie Engineer

Guest grey thunder

Good work Kerry.  Like the switch pod, looks OEM.

The next mod needs to be some brown stuff on the sides, front, back and roof!

Chief Cable Tie Engineer

Pot

Kettle

Black

:rofl: :rofl:

• Administrators

Looking good Kerry  :great:

Looks like you should be all set for the Pyrennes trip and Camp Jeep !

• Platinum Member

Looking good Kerry  :great:

Looks like you should be all set for the Pyrennes trip and Camp Jeep !

Thanks Stewart

Just about ready for the big adventure ... will probably need a bit of advice on "camping" stuff and whether to tow a fuel tanker :icon_jokercolor:

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member
Maverick23

Phase 3 ~ part 1

Recent stressful events led me to needing something to cheer me up … which leads me to bring forward part of the phase 3 mods to my Rubicon. The boiled rice diet can continue for a bit longer ….

Pic 1 = AFE Momentum GT air intake

Pic 2 = what came out

Pic 3 = new intake now installed

Very happy with this upgrade … big improvement in airflow IN and engine is more responsive – but means I have to complete the circle and install a different exhaust … to help the airflow OUT. Plans in place … but need to be a bit patient, because chosen supplier is rather busy :glasses:

iphone_3.6.16_002.thumb.JPG.4585e07996ba4f38d9e9cc07990ef919.JPG

iphone_3.6.16_003.thumb.JPG.66cc7553d843c24daa10f320706f8a81.JPG

iphone_3.6.16_004.thumb.JPG.c1f7893388f3d4585b8963fb63fd2526.JPG

About time this Jeep was put to the test off the Tarmac ?!?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member
Vuck Roger

Kerry, a word of advise if I may, keep the air filter stock box.

You will need it if you decide to instal a snorkel later. Ask me how I learned that the hard way...

Sorry to hear about your stressful events. Hope all is well.

Chris is right. That motor needs to get out of tarmac!