Maverick23

• Administrators

Congratulations Kerry  :great:

It must be the Trail Rated badge on the N/S Wing :icon_e_geek:

• Platinum Member

Congratulations Kerry  :great:

It must be the Trail Rated badge on the N/S Wing :icon_e_geek:

Thanks Stewart

The Rubicon is so cool to drive ... was a bit bouncy at first - but then found out that Horsham had set the tyre pressures to 2.8bar!! Should be 35psi (2.4bar) :glasses:

Looking forward to phase 2 (AEV & Nene) sometime in February ... that should be interesting :alien:

PS Easter egg is a (small subtle) "change" ...

• Platinum Member

Yep, Hugo ...

I swapped out the standard "chrome" grill badge for a nice new black one ... it's the little things :glasses:

IMG_4843.thumb.JPG.dd2128ecff546c5c00e2a7d8d3e0c1e1.JPG

• Platinum Member

So what do I win????

Yep, Hugo ...

I swapped out the standard "chrome" grill badge for a nice new black one ... it's the little things :glasses:

So, what do I win????

As Grey Thunder says, let us get that "Snow White" all muddy!!!!

• Platinum Member

You win a gold star Hugo ... it's in the book :icon_mrgreen:

PS The weather god is doing a fairly good job of getting my Rubicon muddy ... without even trying ... some pretty mucky lanes where I live after 2 weeks of rain. I'm guessing he had quite a few beers over Christmas :glasses:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Thought I’d give these Philips bulbs a go  to improve my headlights. (see pic 1 at bottom)

Slightly more expensive than the Osram H4 Nightbreaker Unlimited, but following up on a recommendation from Mark Meggy at NENE Maidenhead – thanks for the tip :great: - also managed to get them at a reasonable price on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NMEEOV2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Fitted at weekend – pic 2 = BEFORE // pic 3 = AFTER.  Have certainly helped driving around the dark lanes of the Kentish Weald. :icon_flower:

They are rated at 60W and have an expected life of 450 hours; so should give me about a year to think about alternative upgrades …

51cO8lm5DrL.thumb.jpg.f5873e68bb759640559dc95ba0b4838a.jpg

25.1.16_001.thumb.JPG.c102a862ba9a9122591ecf4031c4c815.JPG

25.1.16_003.thumb.JPG.a223125d53663ce929ebe4e0f1bc695f.JPG

Nice pics, and no doubt brighten the lanes around the North Downs.......... :icon_e_wink:

You ought to be bringing it to Slindon for an outing!

• Platinum Member

Thanks Jules ... yep, definitely helping :great:

Unfortunately, the pics don't really show the full effect - I blame the camera operator :icon_geek: - here is a "during shot" - but it ain't showing what my eyes were seeing at the time ... these bulbs do make a significant improvement over standard.

25.1.16_002.thumb.JPG.e7dfde731d5d1bd5dbc32484b46f696b.JPG

• Platinum Member

Ah! The days prior to the winch and steel bumper install where one could remove the grill in a couple of minutes... You enjoy it as long as it lasts!

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member

The modifications ~ phase 2

So after what has felt like an eternity … my phase 2 mods were finally finished on Saturday. Was actually just over two months – first waiting for my chosen tyre to appear in the UK in the correct size and then waiting for a suitable slot in the workshop.

Big thank you to Mark Meggy and his team at Nene Maidenhead for carrying out the work :great: :great:

Here is the build sheet (which contains quite a few of the usual suspects):

• AEV 2.5” suspension lift with geometry correction brackets

• AEV standard front bumper with skid plate

• AEV rear bumper & tyre carrier / water pump / rear splash guards

• AEV diff covers – front and rear / AEV jack base

• Teraflex adjustable front track bar / Teraflex steering stabiliser relocation bracket / OME heavy duty steering damper

• Lazer lights T16R front light / IPF back-up light

• Wheels: WELD Rekon XT F58B (17x9) / Gorilla acorn lug nuts / hub-centric rings (87.1 to 71.5)

• Tyres: BFG AT KO2 315/70/17 (with 5 new TPMS valves)

• Full 4 wheel alignment

• Procal

Here are a few pictures … however, it is only now that I realise that “pictures” do not do these vehicles justice … my Rubicon now looks completely different, with some people are even questioning if it is the same vehicle.  In the flesh it looks ... quite simply ….  :icon_king: AMAZING :icon_king:

Thanks again to my fellow JOC members for helping to steer me down this path :wav2 … one very happy bunny here :great:

phone_7.3.16_020.thumb.JPG.b85b7c2fbecb2f723c7c2c526466915f.JPG

phone_7.3.16_016.thumb.JPG.beaba20caf8456d0c956642702af7e31.JPG

phone_7.3.16_019.thumb.JPG.448d157b132ed976420f3bcde31bda87.JPG

phone_7.3.16_017.thumb.JPG.53b839bc4ad768e4d879fed8cfdcdd08.JPG

• Platinum Member

Looking good Kerry.  That hood is crying out for a fresh Rubicon decal...

Chief Cable Tie Engineer.

• Platinum Member

Great looking jeep, really live the wheels, good to see something different.  Look forward to seeing it get muddy now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest grey thunder

Great looking jeep, really live the wheels, good to see something different.  Look forward to seeing it get muddy now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

come on kerry lets get it booked on a weekend!!

• Platinum Member

Wow it has really changed into something even more beautiful - the wheels are incredible!

• Platinum Member

Did not have the chance to stop-by and see it in person, but I am regretting it already!

Looks really proper! Well done!

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the positive comments chaps :great:

PS The front light bar is Lazer Lamps brand new "Triple R" version of their T16 off-road light. It is now 30" wide and gives off 16,000 lumens.

A small warning ~~ DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY AT THIS LIGHT (when it is on)

Pic 1 = side shot in daylight

Pic 2 = hiding behind lens of mobile phone (same time)

phone_7.3.16_022.thumb.JPG.4bed1a733b99149f04c93c5141bb3798.JPG

phone_7.3.16_024.thumb.JPG.c1da828564732d40460d3a87278900d1.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

HOTHEADS

I thought it would be a good idea to get some headliners to fit inside my Rubicon before venturing into the Swedish winter. The trip was cancelled … but hey, the need for some headliners is not just for the cold – should also help with heat, sound & feel of the interior of the Wrangler.

So looked at the Mopar option as the most logical choice – as most of you know this tends to be a frighteningly expensive route in the UK. With the help of our friend “mr google” I found there were alternatives … but only in the good old US of A … or so I thought

This website looked to be offering the best product – judging by the reviews & install videos I had seen: http://hotheadheadliners.com/

If you click on “international Orders” you will get to this page: http://hotheadheadliners.com/pages/international-orders which turns out to be in the UK and even more importantly is a company run by a fellow JOC member Alex ( username = Buzz)

A couple of emails later I established that Alex was a really easy person to work with and really knowledgeable about his products. We also had a couple of phone chats as I was not overly confident about fitting the headliners myself … again Alex was very helpful and sent me this install video (by an independent reviewer in America)

So I placed my order, which arrived safely packaged the next day … excellent service. I also ordered/included some sound deadening material to put in the internal grooves of the Wrangler roof, before then fitting the headliners over the top.

This weekend I was finally brave enough to do the fitting. By the way, getting some Acetone is really important to this install and is readily available on Amazon (among others). I am not going to lie and say the install was a doddle … because it was actually quite hard work … but it was, as promised … “simple to do”. There is nothing complicated – just take your time do the preparation correctly (see install video above) and then fit your headliners.

VOILA … the whole cabin is now quieter and my head was definitely cooler in yesterday’s sunshine and it feels like a calmer place to be … won’t help with the Rubicons ability to traverse frozen Tundra … but (IMHO) still a worthwhile upgrade.

Big thank you to Alex for his excellent service and advice :great: … and for being willing to stock this sort of product for UK (and European) customers. Really helped not having to go down the “import” route (again).

Here are a couple of pics – really quite difficult to get good pics of a car ceiling – hope they make sense.

phone_4.4.16_002.thumb.JPG.3d6845d89571ee4bbf5ca72d42adfdaf.JPG

phone_4.4.16_003.thumb.JPG.b4e4065c03a97f792ce4c28e77e51940.JPG

phone_4.4.16_004.thumb.JPG.77917ee63dc819fac742e2a73305b56b.JPG

phone_4.4.16_005.thumb.JPG.b7190e63aec1c9d58b21185a6f862a20.JPG

• Platinum Member

HOTHEADS

I thought it would be a good idea to get some headliners to fit inside my Rubicon before venturing into the Swedish winter. The trip was cancelled … but hey, the need for some headliners is not just for the cold – should also help with heat, sound & feel of the interior of the Wrangler.

So looked at the Mopar option as the most logical choice – as most of you know this tends to be a frighteningly expensive route in the UK. With the help of our friend “mr google” I found there were alternatives … but only in the good old US of A … or so I thought

This website looked to be offering the best product – judging by the reviews & install videos I had seen: http://hotheadheadliners.com/

If you click on “international Orders” you will get to this page: http://hotheadheadliners.com/pages/international-orders which turns out to be in the UK and even more importantly is a company run by a fellow JOC member Alex ( username = Buzz)

A couple of emails later I established that Alex was a really easy person to work with and really knowledgeable about his products. We also had a couple of phone chats as I was not overly confident about fitting the headliners myself … again Alex was very helpful and sent me this install video (by an independent reviewer in America)

So I placed my order, which arrived safely packaged the next day … excellent service. I also ordered/included some sound deadening material to put in the internal grooves of the Wrangler roof, before then fitting the headliners over the top.

This weekend I was finally brave enough to do the fitting. By the way, getting some Acetone is really important to this install and is readily available on Amazon (among others). I am not going to lie and say the install was a doddle … because it was actually quite hard work … but it was, as promised … “simple to do”. There is nothing complicated – just take your time do the preparation correctly (see install video above) and then fit your headliners.

VOILA … the whole cabin is now quieter and my head was definitely cooler in yesterday’s sunshine and it feels like a calmer place to be … won’t help with the Rubicons ability to traverse frozen Tundra … but (IMHO) still a worthwhile upgrade.

Big thank you to Alex for his excellent service and advice :great: … and for being willing to stock this sort of product for UK (and European) customers. Really helped not having to go down the “import” route (again).

Here are a couple of pics – really quite difficult to get good pics of a car ceiling – hope they make sense.

Hi Kerry

Nice write up and photos and like you said good to see a fellow JOC member selling a useful bit of kit in the UK well done Buzz

I will be having a look to see if they do a liner for the TJ and if so i can feel another impulse purchase coming on.

• Platinum Member

I had a look at these on his site, and they really do look good - nice to know it is at least a simple job to install (even if it is hard work)

I'll be using the soft top most of the summer, so this will be something I keep an eye on for the winter when the hard roof goes back on. I am so tempted by their build log though - I love the fact they painted the inside black, so it matched the liners, and got rid of the white van feel inside too