JKU petrol or diesel ?

jeepmynach

• Platinum Member

We're considering a JKU as a possible option come car change time what I need to know is how much thirstier in real world driving the petrol is compared to a diesel. Also, would be nice to know of anyone running an LPG conversion on a 3.6 Pentastar and if its any good.

• Administrators

We're considering a JKU as a possible option come car change time what I need to know is how much thirstier in real world driving the petrol is compared to a diesel. Also, would be nice to know of anyone running an LPG conversion on a 3.6 Pentastar and if its any good.

We run both versions be it a 2010 crd and a 2015 3.6 v6 ! The two Jeeps are like totally different vehicles ! The 3.6 is the only UK version you can get as a Rubicon ! (Europe get diesel and petrol options) The 3.6 is miles more responsive and more powerful ! In he UK the CRD version we own is marginally cheaper than the Pentastar. on fuel costs. I am now on my second petrol and love it! These things are like bricks so economy on any version is going to be pretty poor!

If you are doing short runs avoid a diesel, they all need a longer journeys to make the best of economy and not soot up and cause issues with DPF filters etc..  ( Sorry diesel owners! Make sure you give them a good run now and then! )

One more thing to consider ! If you are interested  in using it as intended then take serious look at the Rubicon versions !

• Platinum Member

Gotta agree with Stewart, mpg will be marginally better in the crd, but nothing to throw a party about.

I think I'd upgrade to a 2dr petrol rubicon given the chance now, but the crd 2dr is in no way sluggish.

Few more options for the petrol like exhaust systems etc.

I average 24 mpg in my crd 2dr, that's with a bit of off-roading and 33" tyres.

• Platinum Member

Would agree with the petrol versus diesel, but be aware that with a proper remap the diesel awakes... not as simple with petrol, at least with the minivan...

• Platinum Member

Would agree with the petrol versus diesel, but be aware that with a proper remap the diesel awakes... not as simple with petrol, at least with the minivan...

slight hijack  :hijacked:.......was looking at getting my 197 crd remaped with quantum, is it a big difference then hugo?

• Platinum Member

slight hijack  :hijacked:.......was looking at getting my 197 crd remaped with quantum, is it a big difference then hugo?

PM sent

• Trade Member

I think if you are keeping the Jeep standard i.e not going for 33/35" tyres then the CRD will be reasonable on fuel. The later 200bhp version has plenty of power, enough to make the brakes seem a little underwhelming.

However, if you are going to put larger tyres etc like i have then i think the differences become smaller.

To give you an example i run 315/70 r17 tyres and a light bar (they make a big difference)

With crusing around 75/80mph you can expect 22/23mpg. Without the light bar maybe 25.

Around town however i regularly see no more than 19mpg daily.

Then when you compare with 3.6v6 they do not seem that far apart, speaking to bob he said that he achieves about 23 towing his trailer on the same size tyres as me ??

Personally if i could have a 3.6 that came up in the right colour i would switch, i think the difference in MPG is negligable compared to the sound  :icon_e_biggrin:.

Hope this helps!  :great:

• Platinum Member

I have just filled up my JKU 07 with roof rack and 33" MT's. Got MPG, this included playing at Yarwell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Trade Member

Tim is your Wrangler modified at all?

Just wondering as its good to compare with my own fuel consumption!

Thanks

• Platinum Member

Running a 2.5" lift with 315/70/17's 2.8CRD 4.10's (No DPF)

Can get anywhere between 28-32mpg on a longer run depending on load and wind direction keeping to around 60mph

Local driving 23-25mpg I live at the top of a steep hill so climbing that every day takes its toll, as does the rolling resistance of the tyres.

Always mindful of keeping the injectors in good order & more regular oil changes.

Would probably go petrol next time, but if they put the V6 Diesel in a JK Rubicon the decision will be harder to make

• Platinum Member

Alex

I have got 32" ATs, a levelling puck and US spec bumpers.  I tend to sit at 70/75mph but it's quite happy at 80/85 just more juicy.

• Platinum Member

Standard JKU, Derby to Caernarfon and return today  VERY windy in both trips unable to get above 70 , returned according to computer 30.7. not to bad considering the wind blowing me backwards (felt like it).

• Platinum Member

Pre light bar was returning 28-30 mpg post light bar and re-map (tune it chip) on top of re-map done 6 years ago now getting 26mpg it's the power I crave just ease of driving, I actually tailgated my wife's slk at 80 mph going up a really steep local hill before the light bar fitting but does look awesome so will put up with economy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

This is an oldish thread however I will chip in my experience for posterity ; I would go petrol over diesel having recent experience of both.  I recognise that my CRD had virtually no miles on it (1100 when I handed it back) but even so, economy was at very best average even for a non run in engine - 24 on a motorway run (65mph) and 20 around town (only upgrade was 33" tyres on factory rims with a 3:73 axle).  The JKUR is already turning 24 on the motorway after 250 miles (albeit on standard tyres).

After 10,000 I am guessing the petrol would be turning somewhere < 5mpg than the diesel...that of course adds up but is it worth it over the benefits of the petrol?

I have found that the petrol mated to the 5 speed auto is very smooth and responsive. The diesel may produce more torque on paper but in real world driving the petrol feels as if it produces every bit as much torque. 

And then there is the noise [emoji51].

Sent from my mobile telecommunications smart device. Please excuse any typographical errors[emoji851]