Roof-rack mounted number plates

dualcyclone

• Platinum Member

Hi all,

I wanted to know if any of you have mounted your number plates on your roof / roof-rack when changing the bumpers to something more suited to off-road?

I only ask as I saw a defender in a PR shot for the new Bond film with the front plate mounted on the roof-rack (albeit a swiss plate), and it looks quite neat.

Quite hoping a few of you chaps have done this, and looking forward to seeing pics!

200c1d7b-de95-4ebf-9101-592892c5b4fe.thumb.jpg.525415eee3d0d669504945b8b51a6e6a.jpg

• Platinum Member

Come on Luke,

Can't admin delete this offensive  picture :slap:

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

• Platinum Member

Lol  :icon_lol:

Ok Luke, search the clubs event write ups and pics,

Take a look at 1 of the pics of Grey Thunder.  :great:

• Platinum Member

If it wasn't dark I would go and take a photo of my jeep. My front plate is now rack mounted, I agree it looks good and I can find no law that I am breaking as all that is required is for the plate to be visible from the front. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

If it wasn't dark I would go and take a photo of my jeep. My front plate is now rack mounted, I agree it looks good and I can find no law that I am breaking as all that is required is for the plate to be visible from the front. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

Fixing of front registration plates: vehicles registered on or after the relevant date

"(2) Except as provided in paragraph (5), a registration plate must be fixed on the front of the

vehicle in the manner required by paragraph (3)."

• Platinum Member

The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

Fixing of front registration plates: vehicles registered on or after the relevant date

"(2) Except as provided in paragraph (5), a registration plate must be fixed on the front of the

vehicle in the manner required by paragraph (3)."

Can you post paragraph 3? That should answer the question!

• Platinum Member

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/regulation/6/made

The front of the vehicle can mean anything. The windscreen is located at the front of the vehicle, as is the front of my roof rack.

Alas, I just wanted a few pictures, I already looked at the legislation. The only place that seems to provide a designation on where the number plate should go is on the rear of the vehicle, "in the designated space", which is also equally vague

• Platinum Member

The front of the vehicle can mean anything.

Maybe this helps....

From the Oxford English Dictionary..

"Definition of front in English:

noun.

The side or part of an object that presents itself to view or that is normally seen or used first; the most forward part of something"

• Platinum Member

Can you post paragraph 3? That should answer the question!

(3) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed—

(a)vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,

(b)in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (4).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk