Grand Cherokee WJ diesel off road

Jed

• Platinum Member

Hi everyone , I've just bought my first jeep and would really like to take it off-road , I have a 2.7 CRD GC WJ model and after searching online for things like lift kits and snorkel kits am beginning to think it's probably not the best model jeep to do this in , would I be right in this or can anybody tell me different , your thoughts would be much appreciated.

• Platinum Member

You can get Rough Country Lift kits through David @ Llama 4x4. You can get other lift kits direct from the US like Iron Rock Off-road. Snorkels are a bit harder to come across but you might find them on EBay. If you don't mind spending a bit of cash get the Safari snorkel, not cheap but very good quality. I believe you can get the Safari ones through Jeepey Mart.

Daz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

Thanks Daz great help I'll look them up, do you know of anyone that has used the diesel off road or is it the norm to use the petrols, I'd hate to spend a load of money on it to find out I've made the wrong decision.

• Platinum Member

Hi jed,

Yes there are a few with Diesels, V8 and I6 are more popular though but there are diesels out there  :great:

Daz

• Platinum Member

Thx again Daz , I've spoken to David at llama 4x4 it was a very helpful conversation,just need to sort out tyre sizes now I currently have 235/65 17 road tyres I'm going to start with a 2" lift spacer kit and need to know what size off road tyre I can fit in , again any thoughts appreciated, cheers.

• Platinum Member

Yeh David is very helpful indeed. Here's a chart with a rough guide. Be prepared for bumper trimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446902386.945401.thumb.jpg.d055e1611856b190b719e9c90caeae12.jpg

• Platinum Member

Thx Daz,  good to hear Jim , what size rims do you have for the 31" ATs and also would it be best to buy steels? Sry guys I have so many questions !

• Platinum Member

I would venture to suggest diesels are better off road particularly steep downhill where the engine braking does not allow 'runaway' as does petrol due to higher compression.

• Platinum Member

Great point Jerry hadn't thought of that , thanks . The only off road experience I've had is in army V8 land rovers a long time ago so this is all very new and exiting for me, cheers all.

• Platinum Member

I have a 2.7 crd wj. And i have the 2 inch rough county spacer lift kit and 265/70/r17 BFG a/t's very slight rubbing on full lock but thats it.

• Platinum Member

I have the v8 GC and wanted to go down in wheels size to get bigger side wall tyres. Managed to find a set of 16inch GC wheels and fitted 245 75 16 mt tyres that came in at about 31 inch. Very slight rub on full lock but nothing major. Now fitted a 2 inch life and doesn't rub at all. Very capable off road but go careful with the auto trams sump as it's fairly open to damage.

Laytonz