Commander Info Please

Badger1966

• Platinum Member

Hello all  :wav2

I'm completely new to Jeep, but I am seriously considering buying a Commander. My wife wants a bigger car, so after much research the Commander has caught my attention! I can't find anything that seems better value for money. And I actually like the look of it  :icon_e_biggrin: Also only slightly bigger than the Grand Cherokee but has the 7 seat option. Great. My only concern is that I really don't know much, if anything about Jeeps. So before I make a huge mistake I was hoping some one here would be kind enough to give me a list of things to look out for when I go to buy. I've looked around the site but can't really find things to look out for, or be aware of.

Well it's good to be here, and I thank you all in advance.

Badger.

Guest Toptooler

Evening and welcome

I think Mike or Andy have a commander at Jeepey.com they would be able to give you heads up on what to look for

Cheers Mark

• Platinum Member

Good bus tbh but not everyones cup of tea style wise, 3.0 litre merc engine based on the grand cherokee running gear, rear axles can whine after a few miles specially if used for towing, Trim and fixtures are rather cheap looking but the few we have sold have gone out and stayed out, swirl motors, egr vlaves and glow plugs and modules are about the only thing to look out for....swirl motor can be expensive to fix if the flaps have broken but other wise couple of hours labour plus parts.

I personally like the look of them in black with the pimped limo tint windows..lol

• Platinum Member

Awesome, thanks for your replies  :icon_e_biggrin: I will check out Jeepey.com. Hopefully I would hear any whine from the axles on a test drive. And as for swirl motors, egr valves, glow plugs and modules I guess I would only know if there was a warning light on the dash. But I would make one of the first jobs after buying to clean the egr anyway. I've had a couple of diesels now and always clean the egr every 10000 miles. It does make a difference. I guess I could always check the glow plugs with a multimeter before I buy as well  :icon_e_biggrin: And your right, black with limo tint is the way I want to go! Although the ones I have seen seem to have like a cream? or grey interior. I want a black interior. Well lets see what happens.

Thanks again for your replies.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member

hi there a little late on replying , but must say I have a commander 3.0 crd and its just great , ive just had it lifted 2 inches and the engine remapped and it'll go almost anywhere . cant fault them  :icon_bounce: :great: