Renegade

kevinfourlegs

• Platinum Member
kevinfourlegs

I'm curious as to how the Renegade has been accepted by the hardcore Jeep nuts. I am on the Jeep Renegade forum and on there a lot of Renegade owners in the USA. Apparently Renegade owners in the USA are getting ignored from the majority of those who have Wranglers.

Renegades are totally different to the Wrangler. When I odered my Renegade, I wanted to have a sit in a new Wrangler, but unfortunately it was too high for me to get in. I would need the Wrangler lowering, which would reduce it's capabilities off road.

The Renegade is ideal for me. I can get in and out of it easily. I havena 4x2 as I do not need a 4x4. Also I have arthritis in most of my joints, the spine is the worst affected. I also have spondylitis and prolapsed discs in my spine, so venturing off the blacktop and onto the rough stuff is a no go for me. I have never been off roading and wish I had a crack at it, but I never will now.

Anyway, I have the Renegade for three years and so far it is everything that I hoped it would be. So if anybody is in the Aberdare area and you spot a yellow Renegade, it is me, enjoying life with it.

Kevin,

I wave at the few Renegades near me, get a few looks, but I still wave.  :wav2

Welcome to the club and enjoy your Renegade, colour look awesome.

• Platinum Member

Welcome.  :wav1 I wave at all Jeeps, regardless of model, sadly rarely get any acknowledgement.  Appreciate that with your various medical conditions that you  feel that off roading is now out of reach.  However I wouldn't right it off completely yet.  Agree that the extreme stuff would not really be sensible but it might be worth considering the less dramatic. Also appreciate that your limitations may restrict you from doing the actual driving.  However if it is something that really appeals I would explore the option of someone taking you on an off road route or going to an area where there are lots of different routes to try and identifying one that suits you.  Might be worth thinking about and maybe someone else in the club has some suggestions. 

• Platinum Member
WanderingClump

I wave at all Jeeps too (to my families disdain).

Last wave I got was from two elderly people in a brand new camo-green Renegade!

:wav2

• Platinum Member
kevinfourlegs

Welcome.  :wav1 I wave at all Jeeps, regardless of model, sadly rarely get any acknowledgement.  Appreciate that with your various medical conditions that you  feel that off roading is now out of reach.  However I wouldn't right it off completely yet.  Agree that the extreme stuff would not really be sensible but it might be worth considering the less dramatic. Also appreciate that your limitations may restrict you from doing the actual driving.  However if it is something that really appeals I would explore the option of someone taking you on an off road route or going to an area where there are lots of different routes to try and identifying one that suits you.  Might be worth thinking about and maybe someone else in the club has some suggestions.

Going off road looks like fun.

I am hoping to go to Yarwell, Peterborough at the end of November. I won't be tackling the course, but wanting to meet folk from here over a brew and a burger. It all depends how I am. This is why I don't commit to things, just in case I am not feeling well. I take every day as it comes.

• Platinum Member
kevinfourlegs

Why did I get a Renegade 4x2 and then want to go to Yarwell?

Ok. My Renegade is on the motability scheme. Why a Renegade? Saw the tv ad and liked it. Went on the Jeep UK website and ordered a brochure. Like that. So went to Lookers Jeep, Cardiff and had a poke around. Definitely want one. As luck would have it, I was able to upgrade early instead of March 2016. Result.

I don't live in the back of beyond with a three mile trek to the nearest main road. I don't plan on doing any off roading, so why pay extra for the 4x4 model? I couldn't justify it. As I have mobility issues due to arthritis, spondylitis and prolapsed discs, going off road and jarring my joints ain't gonna do me no favours! So I went with a 4x2 Renegade.

Going off road is something that I have never done but wish I had. The nearest that I have come is parking on a grass verge in a car. So I still don't need a 4x4.

But I have since found out that there maybe so trails where a soft roader like my 4x2 Renegade will manage. I always assumed that for any sort of off roading a 4x4 is needed. I was wrong! It seems that I still have much to learn.

A 4x4 Renegade is, from what I can gather from those that have one, is a capable off road vehicle. But not in the same league as a Wrangler. Two different Jeeps for different lifestyles.

I am hoping that in three years time, providing mine is still going without issues, that motability still do them.

For me I need a vehicle that is easy to get in and out of easily and the Renegade fits the bill perfectly. I am limited to what I can have. I like the Alfa Romeo Giulietta, but it is too low for me to get in and out of easily. I can drive a Giulietta once in it, that isn't the issue. Same for a lot of cars out there.

I am more than happy with the Renegade 4x2, even if it is a very soft roader. It fulfills my every day needs which is what is important to me. The Jeep gets loads of looks and it stands out when parked among cars. Other crossover suvs all are bland and have no character, unlike the Renegade. Others like the Nissan Juke have a pig ugly rear end. I think it looks horrid!

As the Renegade is my first Jeep, I am still learning as to what the JK, WJ etc all are. Like I said elsewhere in this post, I have much to learn about Jeeps.

Happy Jeeping one an' all.