CAR MAKERS URGED TO RE-INTRODUCE LPG MODELS TO UK CAR BUYERS

stewart

• Administrators

Amidst growing concerns about vehicle emissions and air quality problems, car manufacturers are being encouraged to offer UK motorists a more comprehensive vehicle choice with the re-introduction of autogas LPG powered models.

Cars running on autogas LPG are significantly cleaner than their diesel and petrol counterparts, emitting 80 percent less NO2 emissions and 98 percent fewer particulates than diesels. These harmful pollutants are a key contributor to the current air quality crisis in the UK which is responsible for more than 29,000 premature deaths each year.

In mainland Europe, more than 17 vehicle manufacturers offer autogas LPG powered models directly from their showroom today, of which some are even manufactured in the UK. However, despite the technology being fully developed and widely embraced across the rest of Europe, no vehicle manufacturers currently offer LPG variants within their UK range.

“For some time we’ve been calling upon vehicle manufacturers to offer UK motorists the same level of choice as those in mainland Europe with the re-introduction of LPG variants into their range,” comments Linda Gomersall, general manager Autogas Limited. “It’s clear from the latest revelations about the emissions that UK businesses and individuals want a credible, cleaner alternative immediately. LPG is a proven, cleaner solution with an established refuelling and servicing infrastructure already in place. We simply need vehicle manufacturers to make LPG ready cars available in the UK and together we can help make a significant improvement to the UK’s air quality.”

The environmental credentials of autogas LPG have been proven in a series of independent laboratory and real-world tests. The most recent study conducted by Dr Eric Johnson of Atlantic Consulting across nearly 9,000 cars and vans between 2011-13 showed that autogas LPG offered significantly greater environmental benefits than the other fuel types under consideration which included diesel, petrol and CNG.

Due to its better environmental performance, LPG attracts a lower duty meaning that not only can users improve their environmental performance, but they can also save money too. Indeed, the 150,000 motorists in the UK who currently use LPG currently benefit from average prices of just 54.7 pence per litre compared to 109.38 pence per litre for diesel.

“The LPG solution is cleaner, proven and readily available so we’d urge car makers to make them available at their earliest opportunity,” concludes Gomersall.

To find out more about how autogas LPG can help reduce emissions visit www.autogaslimited.co.uk.

240915autogas.thumb.jpg.cedbf4ae53bce34a43210a1e7e60b617.jpg

• Platinum Member

What a load of utter rubbish, we converted all our cars at our company about ten years ago, was great at first till the price just went up and up and the LPG tanks at fuel stations slowly stopped selling the stuff. We even installed our own LPG tank so we could fill up....but you soon get very bored with the 150 mile limit before you have to fill up searching for LPG stations and driving 50 miles out of your way to get your so called cheap green fuel.

Government got rid of so many pumps, why, tax.....lost too much money. All this "green" stuff ended like every other thing that doesn't make money.....

Great if you have an LPG station on your doorstep, otherwise a complete waste of time. Been there, got the tee shirt.

• Platinum Member

In Italy they have Natural Gas 1/3RD the cost I think it was

A lot of the new cars appeared to come ready converted for the duel fuel  petrol / Natural gas

Less power with the gas but if you require more they just flick switch to petrol

• Platinum Member

The cost to the govt in fines far out way the loss in revenue if there is a switch to gas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

As Steve said what is missing is the infrastructure around the supply of LPG on forecourts.  LPG is better than Diesel or Petrol for what concerns emission, Methane would be better but performance is worse. In some European major Cities (Rome, Milan and Bologna) they have now switched over most of the Buses for run on LPG or a mixture, so why can we have the same more commonly available here in the UK. The structure are there and can be easily converted but the problem is between demand and the supply. Cost of converting, if you run the miles, isn't that big even taking into account the fact that after so many years (6 to 10 yr if I am not wrong) you have to replace the Gas cylinder & the Pump.

• Platinum Member

My 4.0 XJ is on LPG and the running costs are substantially less than for the equivalent diesel model. An annual inspection / service of the gas bits costs approx £100, other servicing costs are substantially the same. Oil stays clean longer, engines last longer and exhaust systems likewise when compared to the petrol equivalent. Generally speaking I'm getting 200 ish miles out of a fill up (approx 20mpg on gas!) and gas stations are relatively easy to find even in the sticks.

I've got a TJ and would love to use it more but the price of petroleum and the 14mpg is a killer! I've seen that fitting lpg isn't good on TJ but they have the same engine as the xj so why the problem?

0||||||0  Jeep Wrangler TJ 2002

• Platinum Member

What a load of rubbish as Steve would say.They are lots of TJs  on the LPG UK web page

We have a ZJ and a Tj on LPG .both are 4 litre the ZJ has been runing on gas for 10 years no insures  change plugs and gas  filters every 3000 miles same with the Tj . We always turn back to pertol when get near home after a long run out

The ZJ LPG tank holds about 70 litres  and has been known to do about 180 to 200 miles

The Tj tank holds about 55 litres does about 120 to 150

No mater wot anybody says gas LPG going be around fo along time

I did hear that the price is going to stay at a lower price in to the 2025

Also calor gas has just signed a deal in Europe for Millions of tons  of biogas

Even cleaner then LPG which will good for any body that uses gas for car or home

Terry

• Platinum Member

Hi Terry

I run lpg just out of interest why do you switch back to petrol after a long run?

Filter change at 3000 I read on some forum or another 10000.

Do you find it wears the plugs quicker.

I'm new to lpg so any help is welcome.

• Platinum Member

Hi Anthony changing back to pertol puts back a little bit of lube around the valves and seals and cools the engine down always done this on all our cars over the past years it's bit like a turbo just lets everything catch up

Changing LPG  filters  keeps the system clear of tiny ion fillings

I don't  use any special  plugs  just cheap ones from any motor factor

Iridium spark plugs(k6rtc1) not worth the cost

But both jeeps use magacor leads custom made not cheap but worth the money

Also  the Tj has a stainless  steel exhurst from the frount down pipe to the rear

The ZJ also from the cat to the back

If you go on to the LPG froum there's a lot of good reading

Terry

• Platinum Member

Annual LPG filter change is sufficient assuming a decent size filter is fitted in the first place. As for plugs I have found NGK 7696 to be excellent - these last 30,000 miles on gas in a 4.0.