Mopar Transmission Oil - Where can I get some quickly?

Pippobug

• Platinum Member

Hi,

In a bit of a hurry, my local Jeep dealer doesn't stock Mopar transmission oil (as they have been told they can buy 100 lt drums only) and there sales don't warrant that. I am only looking for Mopar Transmission not any other equivalent as I need to check something with my gearbox before I might have to go to war with my local Dealer.

Tks,

Fil.

Hi Fil, The story I heard is that Fiat wont deal with the suppliers - and as you know the KJ is absolutely specifical about transmission oil. If you find any spare please let me know and I will buy some to hang on to.

• Platinum Member

Andy ,

I have a place up in Mildenhall (Mildenhall Auto Centre Ltd  Tel: 01638/713962) but they are out. If I order today with them it will be with me next Monday shipped from the US. I am in a bit more of a hurry as the Jeep is in for service this Friday so I am looking for someone else in the UK now. If I fail I will order from them and delay the gearbox oil change.

Fil.

• Platinum Member

Have you tried EBay there's often sellers on there

I Order all the fluids for my JK from Amazon.com

Mopar Coolant &  ATF4 etc

Just have to suck up the mailing charges ... their not too bad concidering how often you need to change them

I try to plan in advance and always keep a supply handy

• Platinum Member

Done Ebay, I can get it from Poland but I guess wouldn't be here by Thursday, so no better off. I am looking for someone here in the UK possibly around Cambridge/East Anglia region where if need be I can go and collect, but Uk will do with 2 days delivery.

Hi,

In a bit of a hurry, my local Jeep dealer doesn't stock Mopar transmission oil (as they have been told they can buy 100 lt drums only) and there sales don't warrant that. I am only looking for Mopar Transmission not any other equivalent as I need to check something with my gearbox before I might have to go to war with my local Dealer.

Tks,

Fil.

Might be worth giving Steve a call at FTE. I was talking to him about wading kit for my KJ and he explained the problem with the transmission oil. Fiat wont deal with the people who supply Mopar on oil because they want the market their own oils, Quadratech in the states supply it but it can't be air freighted because of regulations so has to come by sea and in volume. Steve says he has sourced it and has in his garage in Essex (not a different product but 'it is not in a Mopar bottle') - I don't know if that helps - give him a call 07973 198483 / 01268 777719

• Platinum Member

I have just found the oil through Lighthouse Jeep parts up in Norfolk ( 01953/681237-Julian). They had it in stock and will be also sending it down to me in Cambridge. It's the Mopar oil recommended, so for this time I am done. I will see how it goes with my gearbox and if it works I will stock up for next time I need a change.

• Platinum Member

I personally don't get hung up over 'Mopar only' fluids etc. To quote a well known saying - 'they would say that wouldn't they'!

For US models they get quite stroppy about it, but for UK & EU models a bit more common sense is allowed as shown by the manual.

I have used all sorts of makes of oils and fluids, to specifiaction, in my KJ since new with no ill effects yet.

My version of Handbook, and a Manual I obtained, states -  'Daimler/Chrysler recommends using Mopar lubricants or lubricants of equal quality'.

So any reputable make meeting the specification (noted in handbook) will do the job and shouldn't negate any warranty. (keep receipts to prove!)(and anyway, are they going to take a sample for analysis to see whose it was?)

Castrol and other well known makes available in UK will certainly meet the specification required, but obviously check it!

• Platinum Member

Normally I would agree with you and up to now I have gone with whatever the Jeep Dealer has put in my gearbox & differentials as per their recommendation. But as I keep having a recurring problem with the stiffness in my gearbox this time I have gone with Mopar original oils. I hope it will make a difference for the coming winter as it's a real pain on cold mornings trying to change gears. I already had the gearbox rebuilt by Jeep at 70K miles and here we are again in the same situation 70k miles on. It's a known problem with 5 spd gearboxes from the years 2002/3 and it's also present in the TJ/XJ that run the same box. Since I need to change I might as well have a go with the correct stuff before I have a go at the Jeep Dealer again ( I have a life time Warranty on the Jeep).

Normally I would agree with you and up to now I have gone with whatever the Jeep Dealer has put in my gearbox & differentials as per their recommendation. But as I keep having a recurring problem with the stiffness in my gearbox this time I have gone with Mopar original oils. I hope it will make a difference for the coming winter as it's a real pain on cold mornings trying to change gears. I already had the gearbox rebuilt by Jeep at 70K miles and here we are again in the same situation 70k miles on. It's a known problem with 5 spd gearboxes from the years 2002/3 and it's also present in the TJ/XJ that run the same box. Since I need to change I might as well have a go with the correct stuff before I have a go at the Jeep Dealer again ( I have a life time Warranty on the Jeep).

Hi Fil,

Do you have the NV1500 gearbox?

• Platinum Member

How on earth did you wangle a lifetime warranty on a jeep....lol :rules:

:glasses:  :glasses: and I did most of all they hate it.... :na: