Winch Training

kingrolo

• Platinum Member

So now I have a winch installed it would be great some experience with it with some people who know what they're doing. Any ideas? Courses or just get-togethers for winch users?

TIA.

• Platinum Member
sabconsulting

Probably no use for those in the West Country  :icon_cry:, but our club (Burnham Offroaders) have a pay and play day in Tring (Hertfordshire) in May (and later in the year too). We've got plenty of holes to practice in and marshals who are willing to give people advice and supervise as they have a go with their winch. Because of the extent of some of the holes we have we often need to winch people out.

A few points to remember:

1) Make sure you have some gloves - this is really important if you have steel winch rope.

2) Keep everyone well clear when winching, again especially if using steel rope as it can whip around causing injury if it breaks.

3) Make sure everything you use is marked with a safe working load limit. We tend to use shackles of 4.75 ton safe working load. Cheap stuff often isn't stamped and you haven't a clue what load it could take before it fails violently.

4) Get yourself a tree strop - I use a 6 meter strop which is again marked with a safe working load - about £40. Don't just wrap your winch rope around a tree.

5) David Bowyer, who is a major winching expert, sells some videos about winching, and has a training centre in the west country offering courses. But as a minimum get a book or a video and have a read up about some of the techniques and dangers before doing it yourself.

Steve.

• Platinum Member

Probably no use for those in the West Country  :icon_cry:, but our club (Burnham Offroaders) have a pay and play day in Tring (Hertfordshire) in May (and later in the year too). We've got plenty of holes to practice in and marshals who are willing to give people advice and supervise as they have a go with their winch. Because of the extent of some of the holes we have we often need to winch people out.

A few points to remember:

1) Make sure you have some gloves - this is really important if you have steel winch rope.

2) Keep everyone well clear when winching, again especially if using steel rope as it can whip around causing injury if it breaks.

3) Make sure everything you use is marked with a safe working load limit. We tend to use shackles of 4.75 ton safe working load. Cheap stuff often isn't stamped and you haven't a clue what load it could take before it fails violently.

4) Get yourself a tree strop - I use a 6 meter strop which is again marked with a safe working load - about £40. Don't just wrap your winch rope around a tree.

5) David Bowyer, who is a major winching expert, sells some videos about winching, and has a training centre in the west country offering courses. But as a minimum get a book or a video and have a read up about some of the techniques and dangers before doing it yourself.

Steve.

Thanks for the advice Steve  :great:

Thanks Stewart, Yarwell may be a bit too far for me but it's good to know there's that option.

I think I may end up using a professional training centre near to home, but no hurry just yet.

• Platinum Member

Its encouraging to here people ask for training as there is no doubt winches can be very dangerous things in the wrong hands, look on youtube and you will see how dangerous / life threatening they can be, another note is self recovery and recovering others is also totally different so both aspects should be covered.  :great:

• Platinum Member

Can I suggest that you don't discuss recovering other people as when you tell your insurance company they will ask for assurances, in writing normally, that you will only use it for self recovery. Recovering somebody else is a whole world of pain from an insurance angle plus you have to be qualified.

Guest grey thunder

Can I suggest that you don't discuss recovering other people as when you tell your insurance company they will ask for assurances, in writing normally, that you will only use it for self recovery. Recovering somebody else is a whole world of pain from an insurance angle plus you have to be qualified.

You are quite right petes. .as a qualified landra driver I have seen some scary things in the past .there is nothing more dangerous than than a little Knowledge. 

As soon as you put a line or recovery gear on someone's rig you are liable for any damage to it and to the public who may be around it ..  .

• Platinum Member

Watch youtube and you'll probably see a lot of stupid and dangerous things about people off roading in their Jeeps....

Maybe next time a mate is stuck we can say naa not helping you.....common sense also is as important than an idiot with a certificate.

This is an excellent thread of genuine people asking advice and advice should be given.....yes they are dangerous but so is a lifted Jeep in the wrong hands.

• Platinum Member

Steve I'm not saying that, just saying don't discuss something on an open forum that you are definitely not meant to do as far as your insurance is concerned.