Recovery points

sabconsulting

• Platinum Member
sabconsulting

Hi everyone,

I need to beef-up the recovery points on the TJ for winching other (heavier) vehicles out of deep holes. I used 4.75 ton rated bow shackles on the old Suzuki Samurai, so I have a load of these and would prefer not to reduce to a lower capacity shackle on the TJ.

I notice the TJ has a 2" receiver hitch on the back. It has currently got a light duty tow point attached to that (rated 700kg  :icon_e_sad:). Can anyone recommend a receiver hitch insert to convert it to a 4.75 ton shackle?

20150408%20a4.JPG?dl=1

Similarly the front has a couple of recovery points welded onto the bumper, but they appear to take at most the 19.8mm pin of a 3.25 ton shackle rather than the 22mm pin of the 4.75 ton shackles. These aren't very large recovery points, so the area welded onto the bumper isn't that large, so I might need to weld on some heavier duty recovery points. Any thoughts?

20150407%20a1.JPG?dl=1

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I would give an agricultural merchants a try for the receiver hitch, they are available, I'm sure I saw them with the 4.75 ton rating at the local one down the road.  Plenty online too I would think.

As for the front, I would think that something custom welded on would be the only option if you were to grind off the existing points. I look forward too seeing the new mods :great:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
sabconsulting

I found http://extreme4x4ltd.co.uk/ supply 2" receiver shackles with 4.75 ton shackles, so I've ordered one. A bit more expensive than the ones from the US, but I figured less risk of shipping / customs problems.

I tried a 3.25 ton shackle in the recovery eyes on the front bumper and they were drilled too small for that even, let alone my 4.75 ton shackles. I think I'll need to grind them off and weld on something purpose built.

Steve.

• Platinum Member
sabconsulting

For the moment I've filed one of the front recovery eyes just enough to use an unrated shackle that has been knocking around in the bottom of my ammo box of recovery kit for years - this at least gives me something to attach the winch hook to. However, if I need to recovery someone using a snatch block I'd want to revert to one of my 4.75 ton shackles, and for that I'll need to replace this recovery eye with something stronger and capable of taking a 7/8" pin of a 4/75 ton shackle.

DSCN3123.JPG?dl=1

Steve.

• Platinum Member
sabconsulting

So my plan now is to cut those front recovery points off and weld some heavier duty ones on. I spent ages googling for recovery points, but trying to find anything the right size that could take a 4.75 ton shackle and had a good amount of area to weld onto my winch bumper turned out to be futile.

I spent some time measuring the bumper and a typical 4.75 ton shackle and came up with this as a simple design which I could weld onto the bumper if I can find somewhere that can make this - I don't have a milling machine and I really can't justify buying one (and the necessary tooling) for a few little projects like this.

20150423%20Recovery%20point%20drawing.jpg?dl=1

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
sabconsulting

This arrived today - 4.75 ton shackle to fit into the 2" receiver:

20150505%20a1%20Receiver%20shackle.JPG?dl=1

20150505%20a3.JPG?dl=1

20150505%20a2.JPG?dl=1

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

The thing that would worry me is yes you have a nice solid receiver and shackle now but what is the rating of what it is fitted into?, mine had a towbar on  so I cut the tow part off and had a receiver made for it, and bolted it in with two high tensile bolts.

002_zps4e6f6f87.jpg

003_zps547c7a4c.jpg

• Platinum Member

If you get stuck finding someone to fab the front ones closer to yourself, I could get them done where I get my stuff done, its a place I use for work, if you get stuck give me a shout and I will get a price for you.

• Platinum Member
sabconsulting

If you get stuck finding someone to fab the front ones closer to yourself, I could get them done where I get my stuff done, its a place I use for work, if you get stuck give me a shout and I will get a price for you.

Thanks George.

• Platinum Member

You can buy the recovery points for the front bumper to weld on. I got mine from the states but they are available.

Not sure about the rear, doesn't look that substantial a bumper

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk