Pentagon Barnsley

Guest grey thunder

• Platinum Member

Pentagon is around the corner for my in-laws, like you say, friendly bunch

Good to hear you got sorted in the end !

• 9 months later...
  • Platinum Member

I bought a Jeep Wrangler from Pentagon Barnsley on the 22nd October 2015. Really nice set of chaps there and they gave me a great deal so to speak.

However on the 18th December I was on the M1 going towards London and My wheel snapped off. YES IT SNAPPED OFF. All five wheel bolts snapped off. The M1 was shut down for about 1 hour and the police told me that I am lucky to be alive and that I am lucky that the wheel did not go off and hit any other car. The team where really nice when I phoned them up explaining what had happened. However after doing I little bit of investigating I managed to find what had caused the problem. After speaking to VOSA, trading standards and also to 4 independent garages they confirmed that the wheel spacers on the jeep where not suitable for the vehicle and should have never been on the vehicle and it should never have been sold to me like that.

I am unsure of what to do now though,

They have managed to fix the car and I should get it back in the next 2 weeks.

Please can someone give me a clue on what is the right thing to do as I love my JEEP.

Guest grey thunder

I have been there me had a look at your wrangler , you are quite right the spacers are not great quality. Is bad luck it happened to you BUT this is the risk every body runs when they fit spacers of any kind. Andy Davis is a genuine chap. If it was me I would go and have a chat with them. It was the studs In the spacers that let go they where not high tensile steel they are not TUV approved and that goes for most of the spacers on eBay. DO MOT USE THEM.

How many car dealers would check to see if they where TUV approved I bet not many.

• Administrators

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to the Club :wav2

Your recent experience is very unfortunate, thankfully no one was injured or killed! I image that the dealer hadn't realised wheel spacers were fitted ? To be fair many Jeep dealers do not understand the after market outside of the Factory approved Mopar products . I would Talk to Andy Davis at Pentagon and see what can be done? I would suggest maybe some after market wheels with the correct Back spacing for the tyres you have or downsize to a suitable tyre that avoids the use of spacers ? Having said that as Bob quite rightly points out TUV approved spacers will be fine, my personal preference is to use wheels designed to give as near to Zero Scrub Radius as Stock wheels . ( Scrub Radius is the distance between where the steering axis point and the centre or the tyres contact patch touch the ground) If the Scrub radius is to positive it can cause greater starring sensitivity to bump, braking, tyre clearance issues and premature ball joint failure.

• Platinum Member

Thankyou for both of you getting back to me.

I bought the car with just over £5000 worth of extras from the past owner. With this in mind I thought the car would be safe and the dealership would have checked to make sure that all the parts were genuine and would not put anyone's life in danger.

I just want to make it clear that I am happy with pentagon and how they have helped me with getting a hire car etc but the only thing I am worried about (as I do not know much about jeep's) is if there is anything else I should ask them to look at.